11/11/2009

Reinstall OSX, and re-partition from scratch with the installer for dual booting with Ubuntu

(This is the third part of the article Dual booting OSX and Ubuntu without REFIT)

My only problem with resizing the original OSX Snow Leopard installation is that it comes with lots of stuff I'm not using and this consumes quite some valuable disk-space. Do you really want to sacrifice 1.2GB on Language Transitions and 1.62GB on printer drivers if you don't need it? (Well, the printer drivers you may need, I have a Canon printer for which the driver is not in OSX, so I'll install separately anyway - thus I can get rid of this 1.62GB). Since I only have a 128GB drive to do the installation and I will install Logic Studio consuming some 60gigs, I prefer the reinstallation. Let's see how it works!

First and foremost, don't forget to back-up all your valuable data, since this method will destroy everything on the hard-drive. Don't forget: neither me nor anybody else can and will take responsibility for what you are doing on your own computer!

So pop in that CD (or USB key - did you know you can install Snow Leopard from an USB key?) and start the installation.

First select your language and click the arrow to proceed. In the "Install Mac OS X" window, don't continue just yet; first we will have to re-partition our hard drive. So click Utilities->Disk Utility. Click on your drive, and click on the "Partition" tab. In the "Volume Scheme" dropdown, select "4 Partitions". This will split your drive to four, equally sized partitions. Good enough to start with!

My preferred layout is the following:

osx As I will have Logic Studio installed which will take like 60 gigs, I will have to leave a huge partition for OSX. So I'll make it 74GB (I tell you how I came up with this number: I tried before and Logic just did not fit on 64GB :-) If you don't have any huge programs like Logic Pro or Final Cut, 20GB should do for the OSX partition with Office.
home Will be visible from both Ubuntu and OSX, containing the documents we are working with: videos, pictures, source-files, etc; thus, it should fill up the remaining space from all the other partitions. Since the HFS driver in Linux is not able to read/write journaled HFS partitions, we will have to change the type of this partition to non-journaled HFS. It should be non-case-sensitive as well, since Adobe products are fooled with case-sensitive file-systems. So, it will be "Mac OS Extended", which is "non-case-sensitive/non-journaled".
ubuntu The Ubuntu partition will contain the Linux OS. 16GB will do for Karmic Koala.
swap The swap partition is the virtual memory; you have to set the size depending on the amount of RAM you have. I have 4GBs, and since I want to use Hibernation I have to set it to at least 4GB (see [Swap partition size for 4GB RAM - Super User]). If hibernation is not needed, you can go away with 1GB as well.

You should come up with a layout of your own, depending on your actual situation, HDD size, OSX & Linux usages.
I have a 128GB drive, so this is how it will look like:
  • osx(74GB)
  • home(34GB).
  • ubuntu(16GB)
  • swap(5GB)
Click on the bottom-rectangle which says "Untitled 4". This selects the partition for the swap. Enter "swap" in the Name, MS-DOS in the Format, and 5GB in the Size field.

Click on the next rectangle, which says "Untitled 3". This is the partition for the Linux filesystem. Enter "ubuntu" in the Name, MS-DOS in Format and 16GB in the Size field.

Click on the next rectangle saying "Untitled 2". This is the shared partition. Enter "home" in the Name field, as size enter 34GB (or whatever you have calculated as your Shared partition size)

Click on the topmost rectangle which says "Untitled 1". This will be the partition of our OSX installation. Enter "osx" in the Name field; the size should be already fine since it equals to the remaining of all our previous partition-sizes.

Now you can click on any of the rectangles to verify your partition-sizes. If you are content, press Apply. This will do the partitioning in no time.

When it is finished, you can close Disk Utility. In the Install Mac OS X window, press Continue. Agree the Licence Agreement after reading it through, then select your "Macintosh HD" as a target disk. If you click Customize, you can remove the Printer Support if you don't have a printer or if have your own driver to install after OSX installation; as well as the Additional Fonts if you don't use those languages. I usually deselect the Language Transitions since I'm using OSX in english anyway. X11 I usually keep, but that's just because I may need it if I end up doing development in OSX.

So just click OK and Install.

After the OSX installation is finished, you can continue and Install Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" on an already partitioned drive.











No comments:

Post a Comment